All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a meal, free of charge, under the UIFSM (universal infant free school meals) programme:
- registration is not required
- each child will be able to have a hot, two course meal at their school which includes a meat or non-meat main item, vegetables, potato, pasta or rice, salad and a dessert
Registration is not required for children to have the free meals. But schools get government funding for all children who meet the standard free meal criteria. The funding is called the Pupil Premium. To let schools get the funding for as many pupils as possible, we encourage parents of children who meet the standard free meal criteria to register. This includes parents of children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.A
Contact the school office with any queries about infant free schools meals.
Children in year 3 and above may be eligible for free school meals.
Free school meals criteria
A child is eligible for free school meals if their parent or carer receives one or more of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual gross income, of no more than £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (Parents who are made redundant or start working less that 16 hours per week, may find their children are entitled to free meals for a limited period.)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
No other benefits qualify for free school meals from Key Stage 2 (years 3, 4, 5, 6) or for the pupil premium for Reception Year and Key Stage 1 (years 1, 2).
Menus are attached below